A mission at Verdigre was formally organized as the Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church on March 21, 1947. The first services were held in a building located on Main Street and rented from Frank Pierce. Some time between 1948 and 1951 the building was purchased from Mr. Pierce, but was still considered temporary. In 1951 the St. Paul Lutheran Church, Stark Valley (three miles west of Foster, Nebraska), had decided to dissolve and offered to donate its church to the Verdigre congregation. Mr. & Mrs. Louis Marshall and Mrs. Georgia Block donated lots where the church would sit. Moving the church took over a week. The biggest hurdle was getting it across the Verdigre Creek, which was done by building dikes to divert the creek channel and laying planks. Once the church was midstream, movers shifted the channel behind the church. Dedication services were held June 15, 1952. Bethlehem became a member of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod in 1954. The entire congregation provides lunch for the annual FFA Farm Show. Terell Huber is the current pastor. Pastor Huber may be reached at 402 358-5298. Sunday School is at 9:15 am and Divine Service at 10:30 am each Sunday.
St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church
409 South 3rd Street
Earliest records at St. Wenceslaus go back to September 2 & 3, 1873, with baptisms by a missionary priest. By 1876 a missionary priest came about every six months and held services in homes or schoolhouses. In 1884 the pioneer families joined to build a small wooden church on two acres donated by Joseph Mlady. The church was named in honor of the great Christian King of the Czechs, St. Wenceslaus. Just six years after the church was built, it was found to be too small to serve the rapidly growing congregation. An 18 ft. addition was built in 1891. The first parish house was completed in 1901. Realizing the need for a larger facility, the little frame church was moved down the hill while a new church was being built. The cornerstone for the new church was laid on St. Wenceslaus Day, September 28, 1915. It was dedicated on October 25, 1916. Father Charles J. Oborny arrived at St. Wenceslaus on December 1, 1929 and assumed the duties of pastor for 49 years until 1978. Father Ronald A. Battiato was pastor from 1978 until 1994. In 1963 a new parish house was built, and the facade of the church was extended to enclose stairways and restrooms. A bazaar is held annually with the entire parish participating. "A Century of Memories" was compiled on the centennial observance of the parish, which was celebrated on September 30, 1984. The church was restored to original condition from 1992 to 1994. In 1998 a handicap entrance to the church basement was completed. Tours can be scheduled by calling 402-668-2331 or contact Marie Vondracek at 402-668-2805. The current pastor is Father Kizito R. Okhuoya
United Methodist Church
403 South 2nd Street
Methodist services began in Verdigre during the summer of 1903 in the waiting room of the Chicago & Northwestern depot. Services were later held at a residence, then the old schoolhouse was used. A new church was built and dedicated on October 17, 1915. The small church served the congregation until August 1, 1965, when it was outgrown and a larger building was purchased and remodeled to become the present church. On January 1, 1969 the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church merged and are now known as the United Methodist Church. In 1970 the Verdigre Methodist Church became yoked with the Bloomfield Methodist Church. The current pastor is Trudy Hanke.